Saturday, January 21, 2012

Freakin' Sink, but Lovin' the Dremel

I've been having some problems with my sink lately, specifically my faucet. A couple of weeks ago we found out that the side sprayer didn't work. So, I picked up a new one and replaced it with the help of hubby. After a few uses, it leaked. We discovered a rip in the hose. Back to Lowes, bought a new hose. We couldn't replace the hose because the set up under the sink was strange.
Today, my brother who once was in the construction business, took a look at it. He said that it was jerry-rigged. Really? Then he discovered that the faucet itself was leaking because the plumber never screwed in the stem properly and the base continually filled with water which rusted underneath and above the counter top. Unbelievable. I never really noticed anything until recently. Oh, and my house is only 5 years old.
So presently, as I type this, I have no faucet at all - my brother had to cut it, which lead to all of these aforementioned discoveries. I despise contractors. I don't trust them.

However, I do love my Dremel! I actually forgot I had it until today. It's such a versatile tool. I need to buy some more attachments for it. I thought of some projects that I've been meaning to do and this is the perfect tool for them.

<<My Father-in-Law bought me the Dremel for Christmas one year. I think it's the same year I asked my hubby for a chainsaw for my birthday. We lived on a few acres at the time and I wanted to do some work around the place. Now I live on a golf course, not much use for a chainsaw without the neighbors complaining about me chopping up their little trees or cute front door benches.>>


It cut through the faucet nicely. The inner part is suppose to be free afterward and easily popped though the granite. Did it happen that way? Of course not! The inner part is corroded beyond belief just like the undermount. This is the reason why my kitchen looks like the entrance to hell sans kitchen faucet.
Hopefully, it'll all be fixed tomorrow.
Hopefully.....




4 comments:

  1. The Dremel is something my better half would love, since he likes playing Mr. Fix-It. And occasionally he's good at it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like the kind of luck I have with plumbing. We had "issues" with a kitchen faucet once too. Not quite the same thing but I was annoyed at Delta. Their faucet dripped right out of the box!! I had to take it completely apart and find the problem and then put it back together again. All that quality time on my back under the sink had me thinking dark thoughts. I wrote a "stink" note to them and they did get back to me and sent me a new part. They just don't make 'em like they used too....

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, not at all. You have to pay an outrageous amount for plastic crap that will break with the least amount resistance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You are so handy! I'm not even sure I knew what you meant half the time...I would've ignored it till the whole sink caved into the basement....for real

    ReplyDelete