Monday, March 17, 2014

Baseball and Hematomas

Well, it's that time of year again for my kids to start baseball and softball season. This means hours spent at the fields in cold weather watching them run around the bases, drop fly balls and swing endlessly at curve balls.
I was at the parent/ coach meeting outside where we would get all the information and have the kids fit for their uniforms. My son was playing with some other boys running around like escaped lunatics. This one in particular was especially rowdy past the point of being obnoxious. I told my son to stay away from him when he started throwing dirt and rocks at other kids. As the meeting progressed, suddenly we hear a scream, crying and a bevy of children running up to parents to 'tell on' the rowdy kid who threw a large rock at another kid's head. The boy came limping up to his father looking like a horror movie actor - blood all over his face and arms, blowing snot everywhere.
I must say, the father showed more restraint than I would have. He loudly told the kid a thing or two and then attended to his bleeding son. I figured that the dad and another adult had the situation under control, but then by watching them, I decided to walk over there to see if I could help. I got a roll of paper towels someone had grabbed out of the little concession stand at the field and led the boy into the bathroom so I could see the cut.
He didn't require sutures, but had a decent hematoma with no obvious skull deformities palpated. I cleaned him up and helped him blow his nose because snot was dripping off of his chin and it was grossing me out. I told the dad what I thought, that ice needed to be applied to the head and then started to advise him of signs and symptoms to watch for and then he interrupted me, "I know these things, I've coached in the past."
"Oh. Okay. Well, I'm going to tell you anyway and you can ignore what you already know."
I continued on and when I was finished, he said, "Oh, I didn't know about those last two things."
Yeah, well, if you notice any of them then take him to the ER for a head CT.
By the time I returned to the meeting, it was wrapping up and I only missed the boring parent behavioral agreement that they have to review with us.
The kid is fine now. I never saw that derelict kid's parents. I wonder if they were even there.

3 comments:

  1. Been there, only it wasn't a derelict kid, it was my cousin. He wasn't throwing the rock at me, just the bridge girder I was standing beside to make an annoying noise. I got annoyed all right. Lots of blood, throbbing headache, trip to the ER, and four stitches. I also got a follow up visit to a neurologist. No CT scan though (of course it had been invented yet.)

    Just for the record, you really do see stars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy! Sounds like stories my husband hears in the ER (he's neurosurgery). Nice blog new reader here.

    ReplyDelete