Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Flying would be fun.

Surprisingly, I had an opportunity proposed to me for a different job. There is a flight nurse position open and I have a contact to get me in the door. This has always been the most difficult part, you have to know someone in order to get your foot into the door. However, there are many drawbacks. The base is 2 1/2 hours away from me. The upside is that they offer 12 hours shifts instead of the usual 24. They do have a base very close to my house, but presently, they are waiting to move it to a neighboring town, so no new positions at the moment. I was told that I could start at the one 2 1/2 hours away and transfer later. The closer base would be massively hiring sometime in the future. The other down side is that the salary is depressingly low. I'm guessing they bank on everyone wanting to have the cool job of being a flight nurse, so they get away with paying lower than normal for a critical care nurse.
Although I want to jump for joy about the possibility of flying, I have to be realistic under the present circumstances. I guess I'll have to wait and see about the hiring at the closer base and make a decision then.

No comments:

Post a Comment