Tuesday, September 16, 2014

10 Days Post Crash

It's been 10 days since the motorcycle accident.

The following Monday, I called his PCP to make an appointment for a follow up.
They asked the reason for the visit and once I told the receptionist, she cut me off.
"We don't see patients that have been in a car accident."
"He wasn't in a car accident, it was a motorcycle accident."
"Uh, yeah, we don't see those patients."

Before I could say another word, she placed me on hold. Someone else picked up the line and asked me what I needed.

"I need to make an appointment for my husband."
"Well, we don't see patients involved in accidents."
"Okay. Who does he need to see then? He was told to follow up with his PCP. He needs to see a doctor. Dr. *(^&)*^ is his doctor."
"Please hold."

I was not arguing with these people, more like flabbergasted that they refused to see an established patient.

"This is the office manager. We do not see patients that have been in any type of motor vehicle accident."
"Yes, that has been established quite clearly. What I am trying to find out is who WILL see him."
"Look the reason for this is because we do not get involved in disputes between parties about which insurance will cover what medical bills."

Ahh, so it's a money thing - always a money thing.

"There was no other party involved. If I call his medical insurance company, the one you have on file and they say they will cover the visit, then can he see the doctor?"
"Yes."

I had to have my husband call the insurance company because they said they had to talk to the patient directly. Sigh. Once that was all hashed out, I called back and got an appointment for later that day.

I went to change his road rash dressing and my heart sank as I took the bandages off. He had a massive infection that would need IV antibiotics. Shit! Now I had to call the doctor's office again and speak to the nurse about my assessment. She said she would call me back after informing the doctor. I waited, then waited a little more. I called back and wouldn't you know it, they were at lunch.

I wanted to kick small kittens and puppies at that point.

I guess once their lunch was finished, she called me back and told me that she would cancel the appointment and to go to the ER. I was already on my way, had texted my charge nurse that we were en route and she had saved a room for him.

What a cluster%^&*.

Ultimately, he got the antibiotics, his arm was improving the next day and I still had to make a follow up PCP appointment.

I saved that for another day. Small animals stay away from me!!!!

2 comments:

  1. This is reassuring to know... if you get injured in an automobile accident no one wants to treat you... great. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It's all about the $$. Regardless, we would have paid what we owed.

      Delete